55μg - 100% of Daily *RI in Complete Multivitamin
- Powerful antioxidant action protects you from cell-damaging free radicals;
- Reduces DNA damage;
- Inflammation reduction defends you from heart disease;
- May prevent neurodegenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s disease;
- Helps your thyroid function effectively;
- Keeps your immune system healthy to prevent illness;
- Reduces the symptoms of asthma to help you breathe easier.
Why We Love Selenium
While many people are unaware of the amazing benefits of selenium, this mineral is essential to your health, and it boosts your overall well-being in a variety of ways. Selenium’s main claim to fame is its incredible effectiveness as an antioxidant; by eliminating free radicals, this nutrient allows your body to do its work unimpeded.
Through its antioxidant action, selenium appears to keep your nervous system healthy, protect you from coronary heart disease, and improve the responsiveness of your immune system. What’s more, selenium fights back against debilitating thyroid conditions like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and this mineral even helps with asthma by reducing oxidative stress in the lungs and pulmonary system. No multivitamin is complete without selenium, which is why we made sure to include your full daily dose of this impressive nutrient in Feel.
Through its antioxidant action, selenium appears to keep your nervous system healthy
Unbelievable Benefits of Selenium
Medical research has established that selenium has several compelling benefits that make this mineral an integral part of your diet. Here are the highlights:
Free radicals are natural parts of your immune system that can get out of hand. Certain lifestyle choices and environmental factors can increase the levels of free radicals in your body, which leads to oxidative stress.
This type of stress can cause all sorts of diseases from heart disease to diabetes. Selenium, however, is a powerful antioxidant that puts free radicals in check and prevents the inflammation that harms your bodily tissues. When you get plenty of selenium in your diet, you age slower, and you’re less at risk of developing conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and stroke.
A meta-analysis of the available research found that increasing your selenium levels by 50 percent reduces your risk of coronary artery disease by 24 percent. Selenium reduces inflammation throughout your body, and since inflammation is one of the main causes of heart disease, these results make a lot of sense. Specifically, supplementing with selenium increases levels of glutathione peroxidase, which reduces your risk of both coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis.
Selenium deficiency slows down the responsiveness of your immune system. Supplementing with this nutrient appears to improve the immune responsiveness of patients with immune-compromising conditions like AIDS, tuberculosis, and hepatitis C.
People with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis experienced symptom reduction after supplementing with selenium. Additionally, supplementing with selenium appears to improve the symptoms of asthma.
Here’s the Proof
- Selenium: its role as antioxidant in human health
- Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction, and Aging
- Multicenter, phase 3 trial comparing selenium supplementation with observation in gynecologic radiation oncology.
- Selenium and coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis.
- The effect of selenium supplementation on coronary heart disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Homeostasis of metals in the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- French adults' cognitive performance after daily supplementation with antioxidant vitamins and minerals at nutritional doses: a post hoc analysis of the Supplementation in Vitamins and Mineral Antioxidants (SU.VI.MAX) trial.
- The influence of selenium on immune responses
- Selenium Supplementation in the Treatment of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: A Systematic Review and a Meta-analysis